Ebola Resource Center- updated 10/29/14
On August 6, 2014 members of the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared Ebola a public health emergency of international concern. To date, the United States has only had isolated cases of the virus. In response to the intensifying pandemic in the West African countries of Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, and due to the fact that we have had isolated cases in the United States, the Old Dominion EMS Alliance has established this Ebola Information Portal to quickly link EMS providers and agencies with information and tools to help care for potentially infected patients.
Current ODEMSA Initiatives:
(1) A team led by our Regional Medical Director, Dr. Allen Yee, and the Metro-Richmond Fire Chiefs have prepared Ebola-specific regional guidelines. The team is comprised of regional experts from the fields of EMS, Fire, hospital administration, Hazardous Materials, and education. They have worked very hard to provide a document that will accommodate the wide variety of challenges our region's providers may encounter, with the goal of keeping our providers SAFE. ODEMSA - Ebola Response Guide - Approved 10-22-14
(2) ODEMSA is offering in-person PPE Donning and Doffing training sessions in each of its four Planning Districts. Participants will have an opportunity to practice skills using glow technology. CEU will be awarded to those who attend (ALS 89, BLS 06). Registration is not required. ODEMSA staff will also give a presentation on the newly released Regional Ebola Virus Disease (EBV) Response Guide. Ebola Update - PPE Training 10-2014
(3) ODEMSA, in partnership with Chesterfield Fire and EMS, Chesterfield Police Department, Bon Secours Virginia and HCA of Virginia have produced a video with CDC recommended Donning and Doffing instruction. To view the video Click Here
(4) The Office of EMS has requested each Regional Council reach out to the agencies in their respective region to determine agency PPE inventory, and potential areas of need. ODEMSA will do this in the form of a survey. Your agency's leadership should be prepared to answer these questions in the next few days.
(5) Because this is a fluid situation, ODEMSA encourages you to visit this site frequently to make sure you have the most up-to-date documents and information. The situation is dynamic and there may be frequent changes.
Please click on "read more" to monitor updated information and links.
Governor McAuliffe's FY2015 Saving Plan
Statement Issued by Gary Brown, Director Virginia Office of EMS
Gary Brown, Director of the VA Office of EMS released a statement clarifying the impact to Emergency Medical Services in the Commonwealth regarding the recent announcement of Governor McAuliffe's FY2015 Savings Plan. Statement Regarding Governor's Savings Plan and EMS 10-16-14
EMS LinenNOTICE - EMS Linen is now PURPLE !!
SRMC New ER Line
Wanted to make EVERYONE aware of a change in communicating to SRMC ER from the field. We now have a dedicated telephone line to our ER for patient reports. The NEW number is 804-765-5625. If you use the HEAR radio, please continue to do that. You can start using this new number on Friday July 25, 2014. Please disregard any other numbers you may have for calling in reports after Friday July 25, 2014.
The old number was going directly to the charge nurse. This process was creating issues where if the charge nurse was registering a patient and the charge nurse received a call from EMS, the charge nurse was not able to take a report at that time or may not have been able to answer the call.
ODEMSA Announces Regional Award Winners
We are pleased and very proud to announce the winners of our 2014 Regional Award Program. The winners were honored at the ODEMSA Regional EMS Picnic and Awards Ceremony that was held at Pocahontas State Park July 12, 2014.
It was certainly inspiring to see so many amazing individuals and agencies, that are dedicated to providing the highest level of care in their communities, at the awards gathering. "Winners are recognized, by their peers, for their exceptional contributions made to the Virginia EMS system. The awards are a small token of appreciation for all that they do to enhance prehospital patient care in the region", commented ODEMSA Executive Director Heidi Hooker, during the ceremony. ODEMSA is proud to honor our EMS practitioners throughout our region for providing the highest quality prehospital care. We ask that you start thinking about your choices for the 2015 Awards Ceremonies.
2014 Regional EMS Council Award for Excellence in EMS
TO SEE THE FULL LIST OF OUR AWARD WINNERS - Click Here
January 13, 2015 (11:00 - 12:00)
January 13, 2015 (13:00 - 15:00)
January 13, 2015 (19:00 - 23:00)
January 14, 2015 (19:00 - 23:00)
January 15, 2015 (08:30 - 10:30)